Emergency Healthcare when on holiday or business in the European Union


As an EU citizen, if you unexpectedly fall ill during a temporary stay abroad – whether on holiday, a business trip or studying abroad – you are entitled to any medical treatment that can’t wait until you get home. You have the same rights to health care as people insured in the country you are in.

You should always take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you on all trips abroad. This card is the proof that you are insured in an EU country.

If you don’t have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), or you can’t use it (for instance, for private health care), you can’t be refused treatment, but you might have to pay for your treatment upfront and claim reimbursement once you get home.

Apply for an EHIC if you are a UK citizen.

%d bloggers like this: