The UK Government has taken a significant step towards enshrining the Settlement Scheme into UK law with the publication of a White Paper on 24th July 2018.
The White Paper confirms that the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill will
- be the primary means by which the rights of EU citizens will be protected in UK law;
- legislate for the time-limited implementation period; and
- create a financial authority to manage the specific payments to be made under the financial settlement, with appropriate Parliamentary oversight.
Click on the image to access a link to the White Paper. Europe Direct East Midlands (North) will be holding an event in September to provide a further briefing on the Settlement Scheme. Details are due to be advertised on this website during the next few weeks. To receive the latest information please sign up for our e-newsletter by emailing email@example.com or use the subscribe box.
Actions for Employers – Employers Toolkit
The Government have also timed the publication of the White Paper with the release of an Employers Toolkit. The Toolkit explains what the Settlement Scheme means for employers. It includes a number of resources to help employers with a practical communications plan including links, key information, videos, leaflets and posters.
With significant skills gaps in the East Midlands. D2N2 (the Local Economic Partnership for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire) report:
- Relatively low rates of workers in high skill roles
- levels of qualifications held by D2N2 residents lower than the UK average
- jobs with low/no qualification requirements expected to decline and
- job growth expected to be concentrated in higher level roles.
Therefore the retention of employees, including those from the EU is essential to our economic growth in the region. Representatives of small and medium size businesses are welcome to attend one of our events to find out more about the scheme from an expert in the field. If larger employers wish to benefit from a briefing for their HR and communications departments please do not hesitate to contact Europe Direct.